We’re optimists around here, but we’re realists too. We hope for a brighter future and realize that one of the only ways to ensure a future healthy planet is to contribute in any way we can. We start by making every effort within our workplace to shrink our footprints and make as little an impact as possible. Here’s how:
We reduce, reuse, recycle
Though we try to use our computers for most communications, sometimes using paper is unavoidable. In these cases, all used paper is recycled. Everyone has a recycling bin at his or her desk.
- Blank sided copies are re-used for in-house forms or notepads.
- We purchase recycled products, whenever possible.
- Packing boxes & envelopes are reused whenever possible, shipping peanuts are also recycled.
- Glass, metal, plastic and paper food containers are all recycled.
- Ink cartridges are recycled and refilled with ink.
How we conserve water and energy
- All heat, lights and computers are turned down or off at night and on weekends.
- We have large windows in our office, which creates a naturally bright and warm space. This allows us to use fewer lights and less heat.
- Our toilets are low-flow eco-toilets, and all of our appliances are energy efficient.
- Our office is surrounded by beautiful gardens. We have onsite, organic vegetable and flower gardens for staff use and critters abound.
- We compost all of our food waste including teabags; compost is later used in our gardens.
- Office kitchen uses reusable dishes, not one-time use.
- We use biodegradable dish and hand soaps in our onsite kitchen and bathrooms.
- Picnic tables and lawn furniture are provided for relaxed outdoor meals, and meetings.